Data format

Questions and discussions about the Xillybus IP core and drivers

Data format

Postby Guest »

On the software side, we use write(buf) to transmit data to FPGA through Xillybus in a transparent way.

For example, all the data stream I write() is a long string in memory, it loopback bit by bit so I get the same string by read()

What if, say, I need to transmit a float32 time series? In python, I tried to write([1.2341,3.423,44.2323]) but it does not work. You can always use write(string).

I understand that string and time series they are all '010101...' in the memory, but do I need to convert time series into the string and write another decoding algorithm to convert string back to float32 in FPGA?

Or there is an easy way that I can easily send float32 series on PC side and extract float32 series in FIFO side?

Re: Data format

Postby support »

Hello,

Neither of these questions relate to Xillybus, and I don't know the answers myself.

How to convert a list of floats into a string in Python -- well, that's a Python question.

How to handle floats in an FPGA -- there are small IP cores for that offered by Xilinx / Altera. That's all I can tell. But the FPGA vendor should have more info on that.

Regards,
Eli
support

Return to Xillybus