Migrate a Xillinux+Xillybus system from Zedboard to ZC706

Questions and discussions about Xillinux

Migrate a Xillinux+Xillybus system from Zedboard to ZC706

Postby Guest »

Hi Eli,

i have a system running on Zedboard and i want to move this system in the ZC706 evaluation board without making any changes in the configuration of the system. So based on Getting started with Xillinux for Zynq-7000 EPP section 5.2 Using other boards if i understand correctly the only changes that i must make is in the I/O pins assignments. Am i right or misunderstood something? Or maybe a fresh start for building the system is better?

Regards,
John

Re: Migrate a Xillinux+Xillybus system from Zedboard to ZC70

Postby support »

Hello,

Section 5.2 of the guide lists a series of things that need to be done: Importing the XML file, updating the FSBL and a few more.

In particular, it's important to note that many changes in the processor's attributes actually take effect through the FSBL and not through the bitfile.

Anyhow, the best starting point would be MicroZed's bundle, since it doesn't have any VGA interface either.

Regards,
Eli
support

Postby Guest »

Hi Eli,

if i want to use the xiilybus IP cores(normal,lite,vga) while building a new system, not the demo bundles, except for the netlist files
and the verilog files for the interfaces is there any other files necessary to be included in the project in order to use the IPs?

Regards,
John

Postby support »

Hello,

It's really best to start from a demo bundle. There are constraints and a lot of settings that need to be done right for the thing to work. If you need to integrate Xillybus' IP cores into an existing system, you should basically reverse engineer the setup and make sure all is in place. There is no short checklist of things to do. Keep an eye on constraints and the settings of the AXI ports.

As for the VGA core, it will not work with the ZC706, as the board uses Analog Device's ADV7511 chipset while the VGA output for Zybo and Zedboard is connected directly to the VGA jack (with resistor ladders that function as a primitive, yet working, DAC). So if it's possible to use the VGA core at all, it requires at least some work to get there.

Regards,
Eli
support

Return to Xillinux (Linux distribution for Zynq-7000)