Disable unity and other unnecessary progresses in Xillinux

Questions and discussions about Xillinux

Disable unity and other unnecessary progresses in Xillinux

Postby Guest »

Hello Eli,

I am using Xillinux 1.3 on my ZedBoard. I developed a small image processing application which relies on the PL. The bitstream hasn't been changed for more than one year. Around two months ago, I did "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" before I installed the CUPS service for another project. The upgrade took a couple hours to finish. After that upgrade, the application has been always running slower than before. Based on same benchmark, the program execution time increased by 5%.

It seems unlikely to undo that upgrade. So I am seeking other methods to restore the overall performance of the application. I tried to set the process priority to "very high" in system monitor, but that did not improve the performance at all.

Now I am thinking of disabling other unnecessary background processes. Unity actually costs the most cpu&memory usage and it looks burdensome for the 512 MB system. I am writing to know whether we can disable unity and replace it with other light weight desktop environments. In regular ubuntu 12.04, we can select gnome-classic (no effects) at the log-on screen. But the log-on screen seems unavailable for Xillinux. Do you have any idea on this issue?

Thank you for your time!

-Bob

Re: Disable unity and other unnecessary progresses in Xillin

Postby support »

Hello,

Xillinux is just like any Ubuntu system, except that the login screen was indeed dropped, since the entry into X-Windows is done with startx.

If you want to change the desktop environment, it's fine like in any system. I suppose this could be done with some simple text file editing, if there's no way through GUI. I would expect that some googling on the subject will find the answer.

Regards,
Eli
support

Return to Xillinux (Linux distribution for Zynq-7000)