Any other way to work with AXI bus directly

Questions and discussions about Xillinux

Any other way to work with AXI bus directly

Postby rajavazrala »

Hi,

Right now, I am using the xillybus IP core and relying on the user_32_read_en (generated by the core) to read the results back from the FPGA logic to the linux platform. As we know, the performance will not be as expected for this design. But, I am aiming for a very high performance system, so, is there any other way to link the FPGA logic and the linux platform?
rajavazrala

Re: Any other way to work with AXI bus directly

Postby support »

Hello,

When you say "high performance", what do you mean with that? High bandwidth? If so, what's your expectation? What's your platform, FPGA and hostwise?

Regards,
Eli
support

Postby Guest »

Hi Eli,

Yes, by high performance, I mean high bandwidth. My intention is to reduce the latencies in the Xillybus IP core and transfer the results from the FPGA to the host as fast as possible.

The FPGA logic is running at 100MHz frequency, so I need an interface that can transfer 32 bits of data to and fro for every 10ns i.e., 64Mbps.

Right now, I am running xillinux on Xilinx 7Z010 Zybo platform. Here both host and FPGA will be the Zybo itself.

I have one idea in my mind, Please let me know if its possible or not. As I am designing an accelerator I also need an interrupt signal which will be constantly monitored in the host. When the interrupt goes high, I will read the results and will continue further processing.

Also, I got pieces of advice to work on interfacing full AXI stream or AXI Accelerator adaptor. But, I have no idea on how complicated they are to implement. Please provide me some insights on this.

Also, If you have a better idea, Please share with me, it will be very useful for my application.

Thanks,
Raja

Postby support »

Hello,

Xillybus' announced bandwidth limit for Zybo is 300 MB/s simultaneously in each direction, which might not be enough for your case.

As for controlling the latency, please take a look at http://xillybus.com/doc/xillybus-latency

Regards,
Eli
support

Return to Xillinux (Linux distribution for Zynq-7000)