Leverage the xillydemo for fast development

Questions and discussions about the Xillybus IP core and drivers

Leverage the xillydemo for fast development

Postby Guest »

Hi, dear elites,

I am going to develop a ZYBO embedded HW prototype and would like to leverage the xillydemo for fast development. Thus, I decided to trace the xillydemo bundle design for ZYBO first and so I have some questions after tracing the xillydemo 1.3 project below.

Q1: In the xillydemo example project, it provides the following features (I don't list the xillybus_audio and xillybus_smb) :
/dev/xillybus_mem_8 (/dev/uio?, what's the uio no. ? )
/dev/xillybus_read_32 (/dev/uio?, what's the uio no. ? )
/dev/xillybus_read_8 (/dev/uio?, what's the uio no. ? )
/dev/xillybus_write_32 (/dev/uio?, what's the uio no. ? )
/dev/xillybus_write_8 (/dev/uio?, what's the uio no. ? )
Xillybus Lite (/dev/uio?, what's the uio no. ? )

Would you please explain how many Linux UIO devices it can support ? And what's the mapping b/w the HW and corresponding /dev/uioX ?

Q2: However, the project only instantiates one xillybus_lite_0 and one xillybus_ip_0 module separately. From this part, can we say it can support 2 Linux UIO devices ?
I am get stuck by Q1 & Q2 now.

Q3: How can user do the simulation in Xilinux sim. env ? Any reference ?

Q4: What's the speed of xillybus_clk ? Is it 125MHz as AXI lite ?

Q5: Is user_clk the same frequency to xillybus_clk in the demo project ?

With regard to my plan, I decide to leverage the xillydemo project with some customized modifications to meet our spec with as less effort as possible i.e. don't reinvent the wheel Xillybus contributes. I list my plan below and welcome any suggestions to make the plan right. Thanks

Spec:
1.Add the co-processor DSP IP in the demo project and leverage your xillybus ip (either xillybus_lite_0 or xillybus_ip_0) as interface. The register access is 32 bits for performance. The co-processor has 10 32-bit registers for configuration and maybe 1024x16 bits SRAM for buffer.
Q4: Do you suggest if I directly modify the related signals of xillybus_read_32 and xillybus_write_32 which uses xillybus_ip_0 to achieve the above spec which is the min. effort ? And the xillybus_clk is 125MHz ?

2.Need an AXI DMA to move data from DRAM or 256KB On-Chip Memory to the SRAM buffer of co-processor before enabling the co-processor to operate DSP function.
Q5: Do you suggest if I add an extra AXI DMA into the IP block in vivado_system.bd created by you which is the min. effort to meet the goal ?

3.The decoded output of the co-processor will update status register and CPU and access through the register read/write.
The implementation should be included as Q4 mentioned.

Appreciate and welcome for any inputs which can make it with as less effort as possible. Thanks

All the best,
Nan-Sheng

Re: Leverage the xillydemo for fast development

Postby support »

Hello,

The Xillybus IP is completely independent of Xillybus Lite. The former allows you to transport to the processor just by writing data to a FIFO, and read data by reading from a FIFO on the FPGA.

Please refer to the Getting Started Guide for Xilinx: http://xillybus.com/downloads/doc/xilly ... xilinx.pdf as well as the Xillybus FPGA designer's guide and the Xillybus host application programming guide on the documentation page: http://xillybus.com/doc

For a coprocessing project, (non-lite) Xillybus is the preferred solution, as it covers all needs, both data transport and registers. You may combine Xillybus Lite for setting up registers, but it's less convenient in the long run.

I'm not answering your questions directly, as I'm convinced that they will not be relevant once you get acquainted with how (non-lite) Xillybus works.

Regards,
Eli
support

Postby Guest »

Thanks for the guidance. So, is xillydemo 1.3 project able to be leveraged for newbie as jump start for co-processor design ?

Postby support »

Hello,

Yes, xillydemo in Xillinux (currently revision 1.3) is the preferred starting point for a coprocessing project.

Regards,
Eli
support

Return to Xillybus