Cygwin can't write to xillybus_write_8

Questions and discussions about the Xillybus IP core and drivers

Cygwin can't write to xillybus_write_8

Postby Guest »

For some reason I cant seem to get Cygwin to talk to the "\\\\.\\xillybus_write_8" block device in particular with any Cygwin command line utility. I've tried dd, as well as piping cat & date, all that occurs is the following error:

$ cat > \\\\.\\xillybus_write_8
-bash: \\.\xillybus_write_8: Is a directory

I'm able to read from the xillybus_read_8 block device in Cygwin (w/ cat at least) and ive also had success with dd.exe from the xillybus-windowspack/unixutils reading and writing a 1.6 GB file to the device. So I know the device is programmed correctly, connected correctly, and the drivers are installed correctly.

I suspect its one of 3 things a POSIX translation error, permissions issues (ive tried running as root though), or incorrectly configured cygwin... but at this point im not sure what to do to figure out what is really causing this problem.

the reason im still trying to get Cygwin working is because ive got some unix programs that have been built for use with my device, so eventually i need to be able to write to the device via cygwin.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Cygwin can't write to xillybus_write_8

Postby support »

Hello,

This is quite odd indeed. Have you tried with forward slashes, as suggested in the Getting Started guide for Windows? Have you tried removing the said directory, in particular when Xillybus isn't loaded? Maybe try some other device file and compare how well it goes. Keep in mind that you can set up a custom IP core with arbitrary names, which may be a workaround for whatever odd happened with write_8.

Sounds like some directory was created accidentally or something like that. Consider reinstalling Cygwin if everything else fails.

Regards,
Eli
support

Return to Xillybus