Trouble detecting FPGA

Questions and discussions about the Xillybus IP core and drivers

Trouble detecting FPGA

Postby Guest »

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is a trivial problem and something I might have overlooked.
I am trying to get the Xillybus demo working for the KCU105 board. I have built and programmed the FPGA with the bitfile (vivado 2018.2.1) and have installed the xillybus driver on a Linux kernel 3.10.0 (Centos7).

After programming the FPGA and then turning on the computer, I am unable to locate the PCIe device (using lspci). It shows an unassigned class [ff00]: Xilinx Corporation Device ebeb.
Typing lsmod shows xillybus_pcie and xillybus_core. xillybus_core is shown to be used by xillybus_pcie but xillybus_pcie is not being used.

Grepping /var/log/messages for xillybus returns "can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control" and "Created 5 device files"

Thanks,
Victor.G

Re: Trouble detecting FPGA

Postby support »

Hello,

The thing you've overlooked is that everything worked fine for you. The bottom line "Created 5 device files" in the log file says that the five device /dev/xillybus_* files have been created. Did you look for them?

Despite what you said, you actually did see the card with lscpi, and that's exactly the entry you pointed at: A Xilinx device with unassigned class (0xff, which means that there's no standard device class for a card doing what Xillybus does). So you describe a correct detection of the device, but you're unhappy with that for whatever reason.

Moreover, the relevant kernel modules were loaded (yet another indication of a proper detection of the PCIe device). The zero "Used by" value in lsmod for one of the modules just indicates that none of the device files was open when issuing that command, which is, once again, correct.

The failure to disable ASPM is normal. It's just the OS saying "I won't disable ASPM because it's not allowed anyhow".

So: Do you see the device files? You definitely should.

Regards,
Eli
support

Re: Trouble detecting FPGA

Postby vigunawa »

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply! I am just learning about PCIe communication and all things driver related.
Yes I can see the device files in that directory.

I understand now. I was used to seeing the name PCIe showing up when checking lspci. I was previously using Xilinx's XDMA core and this used to show up so I had thought this should be the case.

I have now verified the loopback test and it works well. I will proceed with the demoapps to get a better understanding.

Thanks,

Victor.G
vigunawa

Return to Xillybus