Patching Xillinux 1.3/Configuring Kernel

Questions and discussions about Xillinux

Patching Xillinux 1.3/Configuring Kernel

Postby Guest »

Hello,

I am using Xillinux 1.3C (the latest build, I believe) on a Zybo Zynq 7000. My question is whether it is possible to apply kernel patches or run menuconfig to tweak the kernel. My reason for asking this is that I recently bought an EasyCap DC60, which is a USB capture device. Whenever I plug it in and run the lsusb command, the device is recognized, but there is no node for it in /dev/video0. The EasyCap DC60 uses the stk1160 driver, which is supported under Linux since kernel 2.6.38, and in the mainline kernel since version 3.7. Now I believe that Xillinux 1.3 is some variation of kernel 3.18, but in any case, the driver should be supported. I'm guessing that the reason that there is no node in /dev for the device is because the specific module for the stk1160 was not compiled in the Xillinux 1.3 build. Will it be possible for me to patch or add the module to Xillinux so that my EasyCap can function correctly?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Patching Xillinux 1.3/Configuring Kernel

Postby support »

Hello,

Yes, it's possible to patch, configure and recompile the kernel as required (it's actually a 3.12 kernel in Xillinux-1.3). Please refer to /usr/src/xillinux/kernel-patches/README.TXT for how to obtain the sources of the kernel used in Xillinux.

Regards,
Eli
support

Return to Xillinux (Linux distribution for Zynq-7000)