xillinux update bitstream

Questions and discussions about Xillinux

xillinux update bitstream

Postby Guest »

Hello,

I´m running the xillnux with zedboard and is amazing.

but in my first test I´m continually updating the bitstream because I´m changing the logic design and I would like to know what is the best way to update the bitstream inside the SD card because I consider i little bit tedious to unplug the sd card each time.

I could be possible to update it without unplug it from the sd card slot in zedboard?.

I tried trougth SCP but is not possible to access the boot parttion because it not in the file system.

thanks,
regards.

Re: xillinux update bitstream

Postby support »

Hello,

Please refer to section 3.7 of the Getting started with Xillinux for Zynq-7000 EPP: http://xillybus.com/downloads/doc/xilly ... d_zynq.pdf

In short, on the shell prompt of Xillinux:

> mkdir /mnt/sd
> mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd

and copy the files to /mnt/sd/. And then reboot normally.

There is no problem replacing the files while the system is running.

Regards,
Eli
support

Postby Guest »

Thanks!

Postby Guest »

Hi, sir,

Does the following method also work for xillybus bundle demo while replacing FPGA bitstream file only ?

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Programming+ ... gh%20Linux

Programming ZYNQ PL through Linux
Once booted into Linux, write the bitstream file to the devcfg device:
$ cat bitstream.bit > /dev/xdevcfg
After, the prog_done file should indicate that the programming was successful.
$ cat /sys/class/xdevcfg/xdevcfg/device/prog_done

Thanks

Postby support »

Hello,

Xillinux does not support loading the bitstream while it's running, as suggested in the link you supplied. The main reason is that the logic is connected to the processor's bus through its AXI port, so it's quite tricky to ensure a reliable replacement of this logic.

It might make sense in a partial reconfiguration scenario. The /dev/xdevcfg device file and sysfs file you mentioned are present in Xillinux, and work based upon Xilinx' driver.

Regards,
Eli
support

Postby Guest »

Thanks for the comment. However, I don't get it since you mentioned the system is still running while using your method shown below.
What's the difference ? Thanks.

--Quoted from the thread you replied--------
In short, on the shell prompt of Xillinux:

> mkdir /mnt/sd ----> Does it work under the Xilunux command prompt ? Does it mean the Xilinux Ubuntu@ZYNQ has booted ? If yes, the system is running, isn't it ??
> mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd ----> Does it work under the Xilunux command prompt ? Does it mean the Xilinux Ubuntu@ZYNQ has booted ? If yes, the system is running, isn't it ??

and copy the files to /mnt/sd/. And then reboot normally.

There is no problem replacing the files while the system is running.

Postby support »

Hello,

Writing a bitfile to the SD card (which I chose to mount under /mnt/sd in the example) merely changes a file on the SD card. It just so happens that this file will be loaded into the logic fabric on the next boot. Otherwise, there's nothing special about this file while the system is up.

The operation involving /dev/xdevcfg changes the logic of the currently running system. That has an immediate impact. Hence the difference.

Regards,
Eli
support

Postby Guest »

Thanks for the further clarification. I get it now.

Postby Guest »

BTW, the name of FPGA bitstream should keep the same as xillydemo.bit.

% cp /home/xxx/test/xillydemo.bit /mnt/sd/.

Return to Xillinux (Linux distribution for Zynq-7000)